Search This Blog

6.02.2011

Avocado Salad

Today I am feeling lazy.  I took the kids shopping last night after work and we went out to eat.  So today I am tired, run down, lazy if you will.  Wheat makes me sleepy.  I'm sensitive to gluten.  Not to the extent of the rest of my family... but a sandwich makes me, urm, relaxed (sluggish) and a big bowl of pasta puts me down for a nap.  And sometimes the next day I'm still lethargic.  Today is warm and muggy.  Not helping the lethargy...

Avocado salad





I had plans for today.  I was going to make ketchup, or ice cream, or a cake.  But instead I bring you avocado salad.  Not that I made it today.  Nope.  I made it over the weekend- twice.  It is a favorite around the house.  We tend to grab spoons and cozy up to the bowl.  Sometimes we wait long enough to grab some corn chips.  Yum. *Sigh*  Maybe I'll make some today.  I have rice and avocados and tomatoes.  No black beans though, so I'll have to go to the store.  Maybe a nap first.  Or I'll wait.  Tomorrow I can make it, and the ketchup...

Enjoy.  It's an easy recipe.  Truly it is.  I'm just really lazy today.



Avocado Salad

2 cup rice, cooked and cooled
1 can black beans, rinsed (unless you have some cooked already then approximately 1 1/2 cups)
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
small bunch green onions chopped
2 avocado (large dice)
1/2 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp vinegar
1/2 teas cumin
1/2 teas oregano
salt to taste

Mix olive oil, vinegar, cumin, and oregano.  Add avocado and toss gently to coat.  In a bowl add rice, black beans, tomatoes, and green onions.  Mix.  Add the olive oil mixture to the rice mixture and stir gently but thoroughly.  Best when chilled for about an hour.  But feel free to jump in!

I have made this with jasmine rice, brown rice ( a chewier version), and basmati rice.  I think it would be great with quinoa as well.

Enjoy!
~Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment