Search This Blog

6.14.2011

"Wicked Dark" Chocolate

I'm not a native New Englander.  But the New England use of the word "wicked" to mean "very" is one I'll have until I die probably.  It grew on me and stuck

.
Dark chocolate ice cream... with a sprig of mint.



The third of today's trifecta is a dark chocolate.  A wicked good dark chocolate.  This one almost didn't make it into the freezer.  I tasted the mix before freezing it to see if anything needed to be balanced.  It is like a liquid dark chocolate cake batter.
Oh my!  Give me a spoon.  Or a straw.  Or just let me turn up the bowl and drink it.  Oh wait... yeah, that's right.  I'm supposed to be freezing it.  *sigh*  Okay.  If you insist.  But just one more taste...  Yum.

Oh and feel free to sub the milks if you don't like or can't have coconut and/or rice milk.  This is smoother and creamier than the vanilla and cinnamon.  The cocoa and the chocolate chips add a smidgeon of fat and that is the difference.  Marcia's comment was "Ooh!  It tastes like a melted fudge-cicle." 

Wicked Dark Chocolate Ice Cream

1 1/2  cup coconut milk (So Delicious brand- original unsweetened) (1/2 cup reserved)
1 1/2 cup rice milk (Rice Dream brand- original unsweetened) (1/2 cup reserved)

1 1/4 agave nectar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract (Spice Islands)
2 Tablespoons arrowroot powder
1/4 cup Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa powder
1/2 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips

A bowl mix arrowroot powder and vanilla with reserved milk.  Set aside.  In a pan over low to medium temperature combine1 cup rice milk, 1 cup coconut milk, and agave.  Heat just to a simmer and whisk in the cocoa powder. When cocoa powder is fully whisked in, add chocolate chips and whisk until the chocolate chips are melted.  Remove from heat, add arrowroot slurry, pour into a bowl and chill.  (I pour mine into a metal bowl and place in the freezer until well chilled but not frozen.)

Freeze in ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's instructions

Note: I don't know if Hershey's cocoa powder is vegan.  So if you are vegan, please check this or use a cocoa that you know is vegan.  Thank you.

Enjoy!

~Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment