Search This Blog

9.20.2011

Fall Spice Brown Rice Pudding

I'm trying to eat more brown rice these days.  It's good for you, so I've read.  I've been reading a book on macrobiotics.  There is a lot to macrobiotics.  It is more than just what you eat.  It is how you interact with the world around you.  The energies that flows through everything and how to balance that for better health.  Nutritionally macrobiotics seems to be based on brown rice, beans, soy and vegetables.  Soy doesn't work in our family.  But beans, brown rice and vegetables do.  So I'm moved to do something with brown rice.

Fall Spice Brown Rice Pudding with dried cranberries

I'm also trying to eat breakfast more often.  I'm not really a breakfast person... well unless there is a chocolate cake sitting on the counter.
And there rarely is.  Because when I make a cake it is for desert after dinner.  And somehow the snacking in the night that goes on by my boys (Yes I know they are throwing little food raiding parties at 2 am whilst I sleep.) depletes the cake reserves. 


Today I'm home from work with sick kids.  Plural.  At least they are both sick at the same time instead of taking turns.  Since I am home I decided to experiment with breakfast foods.  All sorts of things on the idea menu today:  Biscuits, scones, donuts, and so forth.  But first I need to eat... breakfast.  I already had cooked brown rice so I added some coconut milk, spices and let it simmer for 30 minutes until it had a pudding consistency.  I didn't add any sugar to this (I'm trying to be good) so if you've a sweet tooth feel free to add a bit of honey, agave, brown rice syrup, etc. to your liking.

Brown Rice Pudding
2 cups brown rice, cooked
1 cup coconut milk
1/8 tsp cardamom
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Place in a sauce pan over medium heat and cook for 30 minutes or until thickened to your liking.

Spoon into a bowl, garnish with dried cranberries, sliced strawberries, blueberries,  mango, apples....  I'm sure you get the idea.  ;)

Enjoy!
~Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment